Thursday, July 12, 2007

Friday the 13th... good day for an ascension, no?

Well, it's not on-line yet -- when it is, it should be available from this page -- but let me be the first to proclaim that Alison Croggon's first review for The Australian is "absolutely, positively, overnight" in Friday's Australian.

You'll find Croggon's review of Sleeping Beauty on page 12. And clocks in at 481 words. It's tagged "It's a bastard hybrid of rock concert, cabaret and rough theatre combined with visual imagination."


3AM UPDATE: It's up. Here's the link.

9AM UPDATE: here's the director's cut.


My review's in as well. In Friday's Herald Sun. (On page 74.) So, you have lots of cafe reading today. :)

And, yes, we've done it again.

She says:
It makes an enjoyable and sometimes breathtaking production, a bastard hybrid of rock concert, cabaret and rough theatre, combined with the spectacular visual imaginations of Kantor and Tregloan. It's as close to Richard Wagner's idea of total theatre, Gesamtkunstwerk - the idea that all the different elements of theatre are fused into a single, overwhelming work - as anything I've seen.


He says:
The dramatic structure is both rigid and brittle. The pace is flat. The sound, on the whole, is boxy.

But the greatest failing in what is, in effect, a narrative concert, is in the musical direction. If only someone like Mark Trevorrow had been engaged. [...]

Sleeping Beauty is a brilliantly entertaining show, but it should have been theatre as well.


I'll quote Blake one more time... opposition is true friendship.


UPDATE: my Herald Sun review's now on-line, here.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Alison Croggon said...

I swear you're more excited by this than I am, Chris. The actual review, not counting the headers, was precisely 400 words! Though that may have changed in subbing.

And we're more oppositional than you realise, Chris. I've uploaded the proper review now, which finishes: "And yes, it’s theatre, not an over-dressed concert: at once a superbly realised entertainment, and a work that plunges into the anarchic depths of the psyche, turbulent and savage and beautiful."

I must have anticipated your argument. So there you go. And Blake's my man...who also said "the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" and that "if the fool persists in his folly, he shall become wise".

9:18 AM  
Blogger Alison Croggon said...

Just checked - the published review is 401 words.

Never let it be said that I can't write to length...

9:53 AM  
Blogger Chris Boyd said...

Thank god we wrote them simultaneously. I hate people to think we were baiting each other deliberately. ;)

After I've had some beauty sleep (ahem) I'll "back up". (Yeah, yeah, yeah... I'll need about a hundred years to unbeastify.)

10:04 AM  
Blogger Alison Croggon said...

Bait? Moi? (Cue batting eyelashes)

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home