Monday, July 30, 2007

Scotsman, Bergman and Buzo... in no particular order

Thought for the day, for Kate Herbert:
"If you meet with some success in the arts, make some money, and get your name on the front page, then you may start to worry about becoming conceited. There are two ways of combatting this. You can ring the ABC or the Australia Council. The telephonist will have never heard of you."
(Alex Buzo, The Young Person's Guide to the Theatre, 1988)

I keep a fairly close eye on visitor activity on this blog, almost to the point of neurosis. (I just can't seem to get to more than 120 countries. Been stuck on that figure for months!) There are some unexpected spin-offs of being "anal attentive". It's fairly easy to tell, for example, where Meow Meow is in the world. The recent Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan hits have been replaced, this week, with Dundee and Edinburgh; The New York Times fact-checkers with The Scotsman's.

Yesterday's Scotsman confirms my hunch that the "punk-cabaret artist and shambolic showgirl" must be on her way to Edinburgh. 8 out of 10 cats prefer... by the improbably named Chitra Ramaswamy is an excellent profile of a very tricky interviewee. (Chitra can be forgiven for falling for the story that Meow Meow's unnamed ESP [External Schizophrenic Personality, hat-tip Carolyn Hammer] and collaboratrix is "originally French-German though her grandfather was Australian.") The article is well worth a read for all you fans and stalkers!

I was saddened to learn of the death of film and stage director Ingmar Bergman. (There's a lengthy appreciation of his life's work in today's New York Times.) Thanks to my brother Lindsay, I was subjected to Bergman's oeuvre from a relatively early age. I don't count myself as a huge cineaste, but I have seen maybe forty of Bergman's films. Certainly more than any other director. I count The Silence and Winter Light among my favourite films.

Bergman gave me one of my first tastes of opera. His delightfully stagey film of Mozart's The Magic Flute (Trollflöjten, 1975) also exposed me (and a countless others) to the stellar Swedish baritone Håkan Hagegård.

What else do you need to know... My reviews of Phantom of the Opera and and Trevor Nunn's production of The Seagull for the RSC are in Monday's and Tuesday's Herald Sun respectively.

Reviews of the MTC's Thom Pain (based on nothing) and Red Stitch's 4.48 Psychosis are still in the queue...

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lee B. said...

Thanks for the link to the story. I think I'm still a fan, not a stalker... I think.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home